How do you Set Your Budget and Language Learning Goals?
Going on a language learning trip might be the perfect way for you to learn a foreign language.
What are the 9 steps I use to organise a language learning trip?
In this blog post series, I will outline the 9 steps I use to plan and go on a language learning trip.
Step 5 – Setting Your Budget and Language Learning Goals
Travelling and language learning doesn’t always come cheap… but there are a few things you can do to reduce costs and save up for regular language learning trips.
I could write endless posts on how we save and economise and budget for our language learning travels! I’ve got it down to a fine art!
Set your budget
How do we budget for language learning trips?
For our recent two and a bit week language learning trip in Taipei, we had the following budget:
Prices below for our whole family – 2 adults and 1 child (aged 16 months)
All prices in AUD (AUD$1 = approx $0.74 USD)
What are your language learning goals?
Are you aiming to get to a particular level of proficiency in your chosen language? Regardless of your level, it is definitely worthwhile setting yourself some goals related to your language learning.
My recent goals for my language learning trip in Taipei were:
- identifying the vocabulary I need to acquire for my next level of Mandarin Chinese (HSK 4)
- writing these key vocabs and grammar and practising building sentences (both written and verbal) by myself and with my teacher
- practising general conversation with my teacher – and filming some of these interactions
- get some confidence back after taking a 12-month break from my Mandarin Chinese study after I had Lingo Bubba
- speak as much as possible outside of my classes (start up conversations with taxi drivers, parents at the playground, neighbours in our apartment complex)
What would your language learning goals be? Can you set yourself a budget for your language learning adventure?
What could you achieve on an immersive language learning trip?
Let me know below!
Stay tuned for tomorrow’s post Step 6 -Selecting accommodation.
Don’t forget to sign up to receive more language learning and travel tips!
Until next time,